Why are healthy volunteers important?
Click on this video to hear a recruiter explain why healthy volunteers are important in clinical trails.
Healthy volunteers have always played an important role in research. Reasons healthy volunteers are important to research include:
- Provide a comparison for those with illness or disease. This can be to:
- Compare a group of healthy people to a group of people with a disease or illness
- Compare someone healthy directly to someone with an illness who has similar characteristics (sex, age, family relationship, etc.)
- Determine normal results (for example, when testing a new blood test).
- Learn why some people get a disease and other people do not.
- Help researchers understand why some medicines work well for some people but do not work well for others.
- Help people in the future.